Saturday, January 6, 2007

Checkin' It Twice

I've begun making a list of everything I accomplish each day; I think this will help with my general sense that I never get anything done, along with motivating me to get a few more things on the list each day. Somehow writing it down seems to be a reward for me; I took a lot of pleasure today in adding "20% H2O change + filters, paid bills, returned Ed's DVD, took down Xmas tree," to my journal, all before noon. I'm inching slowly but surely toward a more energetic Me, I think.

I've watched 2 of the 14 Tarzan movies I got for Xmas so far, I'm trying to ration them out. Though I somehow suspect that the further we go, the worse the films will be and the more I'll want to just rush through them--particularly the RKO years, that blonde Jane just doesn't do it for me. It's generally accepted that the best of the lot is "Tarzan and His Mate" (1934)--higher production values, more risque interaction between Tarzan, Jane, and the bad guy, aka Martinmyfriend. The nude swimming scene is restored in this version--I'd seen it before, of course, it's been available since the late 80's. But still, serves as a pleasant reminder that our puritanical ideas about sex in the media were really a creation of the 1940's and 50's; and the wheel has obviously come back around again. But there's a tendency to assume that every generation before "ours" was uptight and straightlaced, and of course that's not true at all. Just ask Tarzan and Jane!

2 comments:

Andy said...

Make a list of all of the things in your life that are on your mind and what the next thing you want to do related to them is. The next thing you want to do might be something abstract like 'think about it'. That's ok.

Cross things off _this_ list when you do them. Set a time once a week where you update the list.

This will free your mind to focus on one things at a time, assured that other things aren't being forgotten.

Easier said then done, of course, and also requires coming up with methods for quickly triaging new things as 'Stuff to be done immediately' or 'Stuff to be added to the list'. Email can be tricky to deal with.

The Wax Lion said...

No, see, the whole point is not to cross things off a list; I've been doing that for years, and it just makes me more depressed when I don't finish something and can't cross it off. it's like focusing on the negatives, a list shows me what I >DIDN'T< get done, and how much seemingly impossible stuff there still is to do. Eventually I get frustrated and depressed and just stall. By telling myself I'm going to get 5 things done today--any 5--listing what I have done--even if it's something small, I'm focusing on what I did accomplish rather than what I didn't.

Trust me, this is like a lightning bolt of clarity for me to do it this way. I understand it wouldn't work for everybody though!